JUBA -Three Northern Bahr el Ghazal State Ministers convened a press conference on Tuesday at Home and Away Business Centre in Juba striking back the serious allegations leveled against the cabinet by the State legislator Garang Majak Bol when his instantaneous arrest last year was linked with a motion of no confidence moved by him against the Minister of Finance, Trade and Industry in the parliament.
The accused Minister Ronald Ruay Deng, together with Ministers of Information and Communication, Bona Makuach Mawien, of Physical Infrastructure, Peter Kuot Jel and Cabinet Secretary General Garang Kuot Kuot dismissed allegations of corruption and attempt murder plot against the MP.
Deng categorically refuted claim made by the MP that he misappropriated some public funds and pointed that he was not aware of any instances when the Governor Paul Malong Awan had by any act or omission interfered with MPs in the discharging of their constitutional mandates.
“I ultimately disassociated myself from the said accusations. All matters concerning the business of the State Legislative Assembly are the subject of the well recorded proceedings and it would be a failure on my part and truly undignified as a caucus members of that august house to reduce such proceedings to a public spectacle by debating the same in the press,” said the Minister of Finance.
He pointed that if the accuser was dissatisfied with the business of the State Legislative Assembly, there are laid down procedures and channel of communication to address his grievances and the press is excluded in those aforementioned channels.
The source of the articles articulated in the media by MP Bol has made it his duty, if not a crusade to level frivolous and vexatious attack on my personality and the office that I hold knowingly that his allegations cast upon me and the governor bear no stamp of truth,” said Deng.
He explained that he has delivered to the august house the NGBS budget expenditure report fiscal year 2011, on 2nd of November 2011 of which that report pointed that the fiscal outturn for the year had been characterized by what he called “ shortfall in revenue collection” as a result of the blockage of main trading route with the North which led to high increase of prices in markets, acute shortage of basic commodities like food and fuel of which the State government promptly made intervention including exempting taxes on all food commodities and fuel to safeguard stability.
He further said that the slow-down of revenue collection was not expected in budgetary macroeconomic assumptions before the independence of South Sudan and he said he reported that total revenue collection of that time was equivalent to only 30.7% of the budget estimates.
“We recommended that the slow performance in our revenues indicated a significant deficit in our budget and therefore careful analysis in cash rationing and payment prioritization measures had to be undertaken,” the Minister elaborated.
Bol took opportunity in that session to pursue his own personal scheme and moved a motion a vote of no confidence against me based on no concrete grounds and in contradiction on the conduct of business procedures for an impeachment pointed that the motion was thrown out of the august house, Deng said.
“I would like to assure the general public and the SPLM Party and its leadership that these allegations of $50 million missing are untrue and a proxy attempt to attack my dignity and integrity since we came from the same constituency,” said Deng.
Meanwhile Bona Makuach Mawien, Minister of Information and Communication reaffirmed the commitment of State government to rule of law, human rights protection and allegation of governor plot to kill MP was a mere lie.